Lactation Services – Breast-feeding Help for you and your Baby
Sutter Maternity and Surgery Center offers a wide-range of breast-feeding services and products for new mothers. We are located at:
Sutter Maternity & Surgery Center
2900 Chanticleer Avenue
Santa Cruz, CA 95065
Monday – Friday
10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Or by appointment
Services and Store Information
Lactation Counseling Services
Our highly skilled lactation consultants can provide you with valuable education and counseling about breast-feeding and care for your baby. All of our lactation consultants are board certified.
Benefits of Breast-feeding
- Breast-feeding supports the health of mothers and their babies.
- Breast-feeding is recommended through a baby's first year of life by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- In research studies, babies who were breast-fed were less likely to develop ear infections, respiratory infections, diarrhea and diabetes, and had a lower risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
- Mothers who breast-feed have a lower risk of breast cancer.
- Breast-feeding saves money.
- Breast-feeding is a learned art which requires support from friends, families and professionals.
If you would like support for your breast-feeding needs, you can schedule an appointment by calling 831-477-2229. There is a fee for this service, and a bill will be provided to you so that you can be reimbursed by your insurance company.
Our Lactation Consultants
Lili Beggs, R.N., IBCLC
Lili is a perinatal nurse and has more than 20 years of experience counseling breast-feeding mothers.
Rachel Groleau, R.N., IBCLC
Rachel is a perinatal nurse who has worked with birthing and breast-feeding families for the last 12 years.
Maggie Muir, LMFT, IBCLC
Maggie is a licensed family therapist and specializes in perinatal wellness.
Katie Milazzo, IBCLC
Katie provides bilingual support for Spanish and English speaking families.
Back to top
New Parent Support Group
Drop-in support groups are offered to all new parents of babies from birth to 9 months old. Support groups meet in the Sutter Room. Please visit our Education Calendar for dates and additional details for registration.
10 - 11:30 a.m. - Postpartum Wellness
10 - 11:30 a.m. - Newborn to 4 months
10 - 11:30 a.m. - Babies 4 to 9 months
Suggested Donation: $5 per class or $15 for a one-month pass.
Back to top
Breast-feeding Support Products
Our store offers products and resources to support breast-feeding. Our lactation consultants will provide you with assistance in choosing the products and resources that are best for you. Among our product offerings are:
- Deluxe nursing bras and tank tops professionally fitted by the lactation team
- A wide variety of breast pumps and accessory parts to suit your individual needs
- Colorful and comfortable nursing pillows
- Comfortable nursing stools
- Glass storage and feeding bottles
- Washable and disposable nursing pads
- Supplemental nursing systems and other specialty feeding devices
- Attractive infant carriers personally sized for optimal comfort
- Soothing swaddling blankets
- Baby care DVDs
Breast Pump Rentals
We rent Medela® Symphony, Classic and Lactina pumps. All are auto-cycling electric breast pumps with the capacity for double or single pumping. We can help you determine the best pump for your needs.
Daily - $5
Weekly - $25
Monthly - $75
3 months - $180
* Please note that you will need a personal pump kit to use with any of our rentals. Pump kits are available for purchase.
Back to top
Back to top